You are not logged in.

Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Options

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

alty97
2012-11-15 17:10:05

I also noticed about 2MPG drop in last fill-up, so I blame it on cold weather and maybe gas vendors switching to winter gas mixture.
Unfortunately not much we can do, just have to suck it up...

lymang
2012-11-15 13:04:27

Arrgghhh.... With the past 4-6 fillups I've seen my MPG drop.  Again, I feel I'm getting upset about a non-statistically significant decrease in mileage but it still makes me say WTF!!??  I am wondering if the cold weather has something to do with it.  We'll see, I did see a little skip back up today, and I had an oil change/service on Monday, so I'm still trying to see if I can reverse the downward slide.

lymang
2012-06-07 12:00:05

As my dataset has increased in size, I am getting a better idea of the variation in MPG I will see.  Plus, I love seeing how gas prices are dropping.  During periods when I'm not tracking MPG I often won't notice the price of gas beyond a momentary thought, but when I'm obsessing (like now) I see the drop in gas prices and definitely am pleased.  I also like to see the regional variations in price of gas - 30 miles east of home (where my work is, approximately) gas is 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon.

lymang
2012-05-30 21:56:22

Wow.  I hadn't even THOUGHT about the pump shutting off too soon, but I think that could definitely make a difference - if different pumps have different shut-off sensitivities you could see a quarter gallon difference in "full" value, I bet.  It does not take much time to pump enough gas to make a difference.

alty97
2012-05-22 14:29:23

I also watch my MPG very closely and do take each MPG drop very personally. But there are some things that you have very little control of, like if you use a new gas station and that pump shuts off too soon and it looks like you got great MPG this time cause it took less gas to fill to the top, while next time you see your MPG drop down dead and keep wondering what you did wrong, when in fact there is nothing you could have done (well, always use same gas station and pump would help but not really feasible).
Also heavy traffic a few times a week would kill your MPGs, so just watch the average values you are getting and you are already in better shape than 99% of people out there smile

lymang
2012-05-18 12:46:49

OK, so I know that less than a mile per gallon deviation is probably not statistically significant.  I mean if my MPG were < 10 it would be, but at 24-26 I would say it can't be.

I have a fairly small sample set of data, but I won't lie - it totally TORMENTS me to see my MPG drop from 25 one week to 24 another week. 

I have been really trying to be very observant and notice my driving habits and patterns - how traffic was, how much driving off the highway I'm doing, etc. in an effort to attempt to explain any deviation downward or upward in MPG.

Am I the only person who does this?  I hope not.

Board footer