Forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-28 14:49:44

jstrine

Trip Entry

Having the ability to enter a "Trip" (start/end date and odo) would be nice.  I used this functionality in my previous program to track significant mileage events with my car.  For example a long distance drive, vacation trip, and periods of race track usage.

#2 2008-04-28 16:14:29

support team
Administrator

Re: Trip Entry

Dear jstrine,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Could you please elaborate a bit on how you use trip information? Do you want just to record it as a note, or you need a reporting on that too, like average MPG during last vacation trip or something like that?

For reporting purposes you can actually just put something like Vacation-05-2008 into private note field, and then run statistics report grouping by private note filed to get average MPG for the vacation trip.
Please let us know if that's what you are looking for.

Thanks and have a great day!

#3 2008-04-28 23:25:33

jstrine

You make a good suggestion about the private note field, as I hadn't really considered that for tracking gas on the trip.

In the past, I used a trip entry as follows:

start date:  04/01/08
start odo:  100,000
end date:   04/14/08
end odo:   115,000
note:   Trip to Florida for vacation.  Then to Texas for visiting relatives.  I-95 south, bla, bla bla.  Car ran well; no major issues.

In this way the program would calculate the entire mileage for the trip (but not MPG or anything like that).  It was really just a way to enter a note about a given time and mileage range.  The only issue I see with using the private-note in the fillup log is that sometimes my trips don't always begin and end with a fillup.  For me to calculate MPG during a trip, I just look at the fillups encompassing that time for a general estimate.

I also would use a trip-like entry (without the end date/odo) to record significant items like:

date:    4/1/08
odo:    100,000
note:  check engine light came on, code reader indicated misfire in cylinder 1.

Right now I accomplish that with a note (service type Other) in the Maintenance Log.  This way I can keep track of small problems and when they first started happening.  There is nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out just when that rattle or shimmy started first appearing; by the time you consider it serious, you've forgotten when it started exactly.

Hope that helps.  Perhaps both things are really the same, just with an optional end date/odo signifying a "trip" or extended time "note".

#4 2008-04-29 19:51:42

support team
Administrator

Dear jstrine, yes that does make sense to add a general note/trip feature to record things like you mention above, and we will implement this functionality.
Estimated delivery date for this feature is May 15th.

Thanks!
Drive safely everybody!

#5 2008-05-16 01:48:29

support team
Administrator

Dear jstrine,

We are glad to inform you that we have implemented trips/notes feature. Please go to your account page and use "Notes / Trips" link next to modify vehicle details link.

Please check it out when you get a chance.

Have a nice day!
Drive safely everybody!

Board footer